Friday, April 6, 2018

Still life photography with the Fuji X-T2

My photo project for this week was to do a series of images with a spa theme. For this I used the Fuji X-T2 and two lenses, the Zeiss 50mm macro and the Fuji 16-55mm f/2.8 zoom.  I mostly relied on the zoom, but did have to add a 90mm f/2 Fuji for one shot, as I mention below.

Most of time we worked indoors with available window light, but for a few shots we moved outdoors to photograph with a pool background. Every situation was backlit with a foreground gold/silver reflector to kick in a fill light.

Below is a small sampling of the many images we achieved in the two day shoot.

This shot was done towards then end of the shoot when we started to add some natural, decaying plant materials to add some natural character and warm color to the spa scenes.

For this photo of bamboo I wanted the background to be very out-of-focus so I switched to the Fuji 90mm f/2 lens and put a close-up filter on it to achieve the extreme bokeh effect. The bamboo was inside near a window and the our-of-focus background was outside. Because I was using only natural light the situation made it a bit difficult to harmonize the the exposure for the bamboo with the background. A lot of that was done later in Photoshop by opening up the bamboo exposure and darkening the background. The shot had to be done in RAW.  A jpg image would never have held the extreme exposure differences. 

No comments :

Post a Comment